2023 General Scholarship
2023 General Scholarship Guidelines
This is the 53rd year since 1971, the Japanese American Association of New York, Inc. has been awarding scholarships to graduating high school students of Japanese descent living in the New York tri-state area who are applying to US institutions of higher learning.
In the past, scholarships have been awarded in the range of $1,000.00 to $10,000.00 and airline tickets to Japan may also be awarded to certain scholarship recipients this year.
We plan to hold award presentation at the Harvard Club on May 31, 2023.
- A completed application form with one passport size photo.
- A double-spaced essay not exceeding 500 words on one of the following topics:
- Japan is doubling their defense budget and strengthened the alliance with the US due to Asia geopolitical challenges. What do you think of this?
- How would the JAA Scholarship help you in your studies and affect your future commitment to the local community?
- Your latest school transcript AND a copy of SAT or ACT scores.
- A letter of recommendation from your school counselor or teacher.
- Membership in JAA. If no one in your family is a member of JAA, a membership form is available at jaany.org . Please call the JAA office with any questions.
- You must be attending a four- year college in the United States in the fall of 2023.
- Scholarship cash awards should be used for tuition or other closely related costs.
The deadline for applications is Monday, May 1, 2023, noon
JAA Scholarship Committee
Japanese American Association of New York, Inc.
Applications may be sent via e-mail or fax. However, letters of recommendation and transcripts, if sent electronically, must be sent from the issuer (not student applicant) AND the original signed/stamped copies submitted by mail.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
If you have any questions, please call us at 212-840-6942.
2023 JAA Scholarship Committee
JAA RESERVES ALL RIGHTS AND THE SOLE DISCRETION IN THE SELECTION OR CHANGES TO AVAILABLE SCHOLARSHIPS, AWARDEE SELECTION AND ANY MATTERS RELATING TO THE SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS.
The JAA reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures for this scholarship program and make changes at any time.